Articles Of Interest

Dangers of Living in a Moldy Environment

The dangers of living in a moldy environment might not be obvious or even understood at first. But, once you have a basic concept of it, it becomes critical to fix the problem as soon as possible. This is due to the fact that mold is far more than just an eyesore. It actually can be quite harmful to people and pets in some forms. It is also an indication of excess moisture that can lead to property damage. So, read on to learn more about the risks of living in a moldy environment and what you need to know, and do.

Generally speaking, by the time mold is visible, there are thousands of spores in the environment and there is often a moldy or musty odor. Although many people believe that all mold gives off a strong odor, this isn't always the case. But, in most instances, mold does emit an unpleasant odor that can easily permeate through most of a home.

It is important to note that if mold is emitting an odor, it usually indicates active growth. Active growth means there is water where there shouldn’t be water. For instance, if a small leak occurs in the false wall between a kitchen sink and the exterior, mold can grow visibly undetected for weeks, or even months. This excess water may be doing content and structural damage. The resulting microbial growth could affect the health of occupants.

Mold is, of course, the growth of colonies from spores, which often occur in moist and dark environments. Usually, warm air is another principal component to spawning mold spores, as is the partial or complete absence of preventative measures, such as routine cleanings and proper environmental controls. Most people are familiar with mold occurring in areas such as bathrooms, mudrooms, basements, and even kitchens. The “warm air” mentioned above isn’t always necessary, as you may have noticed mold growing on food left too long in the back of the refrigerator. In Florida, we often see growth in furniture when the air is too humid, but not necessarily too warm.

The dangers of living in a moldy environment range from mild to severe. This is because not all people have the same reaction to mold spores. Some people may have no obvious reaction while others may have serious health risks associated with exposure. In fact, long-term mold exposure may lead to very serious medical problems for some individuals.

A moldy environment and exposure to it can, for some people, result in several health-related issues, such as respiratory problems, skin irritation, congestion, cough, shortness of breath, sinus infections, and throat infections. Mold exposure may not just cause an allergic reaction, it could lead to other problems such as abdominal issues, muscle aches, joint pains, and other conditions, like fever and asthma.

How to Deal with a Moldy Environment

The best and most effective way to treat mold is through professional mold services. Call a professional, Florida licensed, mold assessor to determine if there is an issue and how severe the issue is. They can make recommendations about possible preventative measures in order to stop it from reoccurring in the future.

The assessor should then be able to recommend multiple remediators in your area to choose from. A professional mold remediation service will follow a protocol (a set of instructions) the assessor provides to remove the growth from the space. After the mold is removed, and before any build back of walls, etc, the assessor should perform a post-remediation verification (PRV) or clearance test. This will verify the restoration company has returned the property back to “normal ecology”. This is especially important when selling a property to show that the disclosed mold growth has been properly dealt with.

The Importance Of Testing For Mold In Your Home

The importance of testing for mold in a house is the difference between peace of mind and being open to a slew of serious problems. When most people think of mold, they think of a small, maybe persistent, annoyance in a place like a shower. Or, even somewhere outside on the exterior of a property. But, it can, unfortunately, be a much more severe issue. So much that it can cause you a lot of time, money, worry, and stress.

The importance of testing for mold in your home is not just to discover whether the spores are present or not, but for a much wider variety of reasons. This is especially true if you are purchasing a resale property, or even do construction. It's also a good idea for sellers who don't want unexpected surprises to pop up and completely just derail an otherwise viable transaction. Here's why:

  1. Mold can affect your and your family’s health. Not everyone is affected by mold, and different molds can affect individuals differently. But, there are types of mold that can lead to serious medical conditions, including respiratory problems.

  2.  Mold can seriously detract from your quality of life. Even in cases where mold is benign and doesn’t affect you, it may affect your family and guests.

  3.  Mold can negatively impact the value of your home. Regardless if a mold issue is benign or it is dangerous it will have a negative impact on the value of your property. This is particularly true if you're trying to sell a house that has a mold issue as buyers will certainly object to its presence and demand remediation.

  4. Mold can be a telltale sign of unseen structural damage. Something people often don't associate with mold is a very serious issue, which is the structural integrity of a property. After all, mold requires destructive elements in order to form and those same elements can wreak havoc on the internal materials, including the walls, and the roof.